Legal campsite on the Barra peninsula
- 35 beautifully positioned campsites
- Electricity (for camping fridges only) available during certain
- Well appointed ablution block (hot & cold water) and washing
Incredible panoramic views
- Ideal stopover camp
- Camping equipment for hire (subject to availability)
- Access to beach for boat launching.
Signal (most of the time).
The hot rainy season is from November through to end March. The
winters are mild which many guests prefer (May through to July)
because of the lower incidence of malaria. The average max temperature
in centigrade in summer (Oct – Mar) is 30 degrees) and in
winter (May – Aug) 20 degrees.
LICENCES AND PERMITS:
Boat launch license and fishing permits available in Inhambane.
Spear fishing of bottom fish is punishable with fines of up to
10 000 000 Meticais (R4 000).
are responsible for their own medical needs and it is advisable
to carry comprehensive medical insurance including emergency medical
MODE OF TRANSPORT:
For access to the camping or full exploration of the area, a 4x4
vehicle is necessary.
By virtue of its position and environment, Camping Ponta da Barra
is generally frequented by visitors who appreciate the tranquility
of the natural surroundings. We urge all visitors to respect this
and not play loud music or generally not make too much noise.
Please minimize driving in the campsite and do not use quad bikes
and motor bikes in the campsite at all.
- No pets allowed.
- No quad or motor bikes in campsite or on beaches.
No jet ski’s allowed in immediate vicinity of swimming beach.
- No electrical appliances with elements allowed (eg kettles,
- Fish to be cleaned at special fish cleaning bay and NOT
in the campsite.
We’ll also do your bookings at surrounding resorts.
Servant: Reliable and honest help by arrangement. DO NOT
hire someone who has not been authorized by the camp management.
Water: Don’t drink water unless first boiled or properly
filtered. Campsite water is precious, please use it sparingly.
TO BRING WITH YOU:
Meat (vacuum packed) and dairy products; Insect repellent. Please
support the economy by purchasing basic foodstuffs locally.
We can arrange tours to the Kruger National Park in South Africa
then on to Ponta da Barra in Mozambique where you’ll experience
the oceans and beaches as you never knew existed.
Portuguese is the official language in Mozambique.
Outside of the campsite: always watch your belongings.
Banking hours in most centres are 08h15 to 12h00 and are closed
on Saturday and Sunday. Shops and businesses close for siesta
between 12h00 and 14h00 and are closed on Sundays.
At 4 x 4 Camping (Campismo) Ponta da Barra:
- Pristine beaches
- Safe Swimming, ocean on your doorstep
- Surf angling & salt water fly fishing
- Scuba Diving
- Bird watching
- Whale watching (Sep/Oct)
- Chill out Bar & informal restaurant with a great view,
run by proprietor (and
best chef in town) Dennis
the Barra Peninsula:
Scuba diving & training courses (CMAS)
- World-class dive sites, explore coral reefs in the company
of tropical fish, turtles, dolphins, Manta Rays and
harmless whale sharks. Full time dive masters and instructors
offer a range of courses.
Sea kayaking, Kayaking in the mangroves
- Sundowner booze cruises.
- Paddle skiing
- Deep Sea Game Fishing
- Horse riding
- Quad bike tours
- Pub crawling, vibrant beach bars within walking distance
- Catamaran day trips around the peninsula and surrounding
and around Inhambane:
Return Dhow trip from Inhambane to Maxixe
- Fresh produce (and all sorts of other goodies) market
- Pavement cafes with traditional food and local beer
- Vibrant bars and friendly locals
- Tour the historical buildings
- Visit the other resorts, pubs and restaurants in the area.